Monday, March 8, 2010

Paws Off

To cope with the last weeks of February, I planned a stellar back patio container garden. With the help of Steve and lots of library books, this weekend I moved one baby step toward home-grown tomatoes. I started some seeds inside, and sowed lettuce and kale outside in boxes I got for free (with the purchase of a bottle of beer - darn) at a local wine shop.
 

I was feeling really good about my methods of squirrel deterrent. Until I saw these guys on our back porch at the same time.
 
Hanging out in the sun. Mocking me.

I have the feeling that the sanctity of my stylish planters will not be respected.

It's on.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, they will murder your tomatoes. What are your methods of squirrel deterrent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, I'm hoping that since we're on the second floor we won't have that problem. Plus there are no trees nearby, so unless those squirrels are scaling the walls...

    Although I'm growing my tomatoes in the upside-down method, in a bucket with a mop-wringing attachment. So they won't be able to squeeze in there. You should look into that! And then you can plant basil in the bucket, too!

    ReplyDelete